The application period for 2023 is now closed. Please check back regularly for new volunteer opportunities or apply next year. Thank you!
Assessment Program volunteers use the Communities of Excellence criteria to review community responses to the key questions in the Communities of Excellence Framework and provide feedback to communities across the United States that participate in this Program. The feedback report is a key reason why communities apply for the Communities of Excellence Recognition. These reports help community leadership understand their strengths as a group and community strategic advantages, as well as important opportunities for improvement to help accelerate their efforts towards more equitable, thriving communities.
There are 3 levels to the program.
Level 1- Commitment to Community Excellence
At this level the applications include the Community Profile only. Applications will be a maximum of 10 pages plus a glossary of abbreviations.
- Volunteer Time Frame: July 15th - September 1st
- Time Commitment: 10-12 hours including at least 1 video conference and additional training hours
- Number of volunteers needed: up to 40
Level 2 - Journey to Community Excellence
Community Applications will include a Community Profile, and full responses to categories 1, 2, and 3, as well as basic responses to categories 4, 5, 6, and 7. The application will be a maximum of 25 pages plus a glossary of abbreviations.
- Volunteer Time Frame: July 1st - September 28th
- Time Commitment: 25-30 hours including at least 2 video conferences and additional training hours
- Number of volunteers needed: 35
Download the 2023 Journey to Community Excellence Reviewer Key Information and Timeline
Level 3 - Community of Excellence
Community of Excellence Applications include a Community Profile and responses to categories 1-7. The application will be a maximum of 35 pages plus a glossary of abbreviations.
- Volunteer Time Frame: June 2nd - September 15th
- Time Commitment: 40 or more hours including at least 2 video conferences and additional training hours
- Number of volunteers needed: 80
Download the 2023 Community of Excellence Reviewer Key Information and Timeline